FOR ME, BECOMING A COURAGEOUS FOLLOWER, like becoming a good human being, is both a daily and a lifelong task. Visualizing a desired state helps to realize it. I share this meditation as one visualization of the state I aspire to. You may want to refer to it from time to time.
- I am a steward of this group and share responsibility for its success.
- I am responsible for adhering to the highest values I can envision.
- I am responsible for my successes and failures and for continuing to learn from them.
- I am responsible for the attractive and unattractive parts of who I am.
- I can empathize with others who are also imperfect.
- As an adult, I can relate on a peer basis to other adults who are the group’s formal leaders.
- I can support leaders and counsel them, and receive support and counsel from them.
- Our common purpose is our best guide.
- I have the power to help leaders use their power wisely and effectively.
- If leaders abuse power, I can help them change their behavior.
- If I abuse power, I can learn from others and change my behavior.
- If abusive leaders do not change their behavior, I can and will withdraw my support.
- By staying true to my values, I can serve others well and fulfill my potential.
- Thousands of courageous acts by followers can, one by one, improve the world.
- Courage always exists in the present. What can I do today?
Bret L. Simmons comments
some Meditations on Followership
Followership Meditation (2019 © Ira Chaleff)